(204) 956-7711 | info@mealswinnipeg.com
Community Resources | Contact Us +100%-

Housing Services


A & O: Support Services for Older Adults
A & O: Support Services for Older Adults’ Housing Program provides older adults and families with one-on-one consultations (by appointment) and information to help with the selection of appropriate housing options. Housing presentations are also available to the general public or groups of older adults. A & O also produces the Winnipeg Housing Directory for Older Adults that contains information on housing options such as: independent living, life leasing, assisted living, companion care, supportive housing, intermediate personal care homes and personal care homes for older adults in Winnipeg.

Co-Operative Housing (Co-Ops)
Co-Operative Housing is owned by members who live in the building. Co-Op members buy equity shares in the project and collectively become owners of the building. The monthly housing charges are set by the members to cover the costs of running the co-op. Co-operatives may have subsidies available. Those wanting to become members in an existing project must buy a share in a co-op.

Residential Care
Residential care is a community housing option that provides congregate living accommodations with care and supervision at levels defined by Manitoba Family Services. Residential care facilities are licensed through Manitoba Family Services. Facilities may be non-profit and operated by professional or non-professional staff. Access to these facilities is through the regional health authority. The Manitoba government does not subsidize residential care. However, you may qualify for financial assistance under the RentAid program.

Subsidized Rental Housing
RentAid (Formerly Manitoba Shelter Benefit)
Low income seniors renting the private market may be eligible for financial assistance under RentAid.

Winnipeg Rental Network (WRN) Housing Database
The WRN is a non-profit initiative providing a web database that makes it easier for people to find affordable rental housing. The site is also a one-stop-shop for agencies that provide support to people in the low to medium income range. WRN is not a housing provider. It is a network of public, private and community based organizations that work to improve accessibility to affordable rental accommodation. The WRN database is free to use.

Landlord & Tenant Relations

Residential Tenancies Branch (RTB)
RTB deals with landlord and tenant issues and related problems, including rent increases of any amount, the allowable rent charges for housing and general rent controls.

Independent Advisor Program
Sometimes there are problems with a tenancy, tenants and landlords both need to use the Residential Tenancies Branch (RTB) to resolve the issues. Some find this dispute resolution process hard to manage and may need some help. The Independent Advisor Office provides staff from Legal Aid Manitoba to help landlords and tenants get important information and advice, file claims and get ready for hearings.
Email: tenant@legalaid.mb.ca (Tenants)       landlord@legalaid.mb.ca (Landlords)

Home Maintenance Programs

Community Home Services Program (CHSP)
The CHSP provides free community services such as light house cleaning, yard work, snow removal and occasional heavy duty cleaning to low income seniors (60+) and persons with a disability living independently within Winnipeg. Applicants for CHSP services must meet eligibility criteria.
Ph: 204-927-1720

Good Neighbours Active Living Centre – Home Maintenance Program for Seniors
The Home Maintenance Program is designed to help older adults complete tasks at home. The program provides you with names of individuals within your community, who are able to do various hobs at reasonable rates. All service providers are screened with a criminal reference check, interview and references to ensure your safety. To be eligible you must be 55 years of age or older, able to make arrangements with service providers and live in Winnipeg. Types of services offered include: housekeeping, meal preparation, painting, carpentry, yard work, minor plumbing, handy jobs and minor electrical.
Email: hmprogram@gnalc.ca

Self-Starting Creative Opportunities for People in Employment (SSCOPE)
SSCOPE is a non-profit casual, Winnipeg employment organization supporting mental health. It provides services such as snow shoveling, lawn maintenance, light moving, pickup and deliveries, building, cleaning and other services at reasonable rates.

A & O: Support Services for Older Adults – This Full House Senior Hoarding Program
This Full House Program works with Winnipeggers 55+ whose belongings fill their home and limit their lives. Clients receive counselling and access to de-cluttering and cleaning services. The main goal of the project is to help clients remain in their homes and improve their quality of life.

Bed Bug Public Inquiry and Information Line / Email
The toll free Bed Bug Public Inquiry and Information Line/email provides information and answers to questions about bed bugs. The bed bug website provides relevant and current bed bug information for all Manitobans including: bed bug fact sheets in 18 languages, links to grants, low-cost and Bug N Scrub programs, and resources for tenants / landlords.
Email: bedbugs@gov.mb.ca

Bed Bug – Bug N Scrub Program
The success of any bed bug treatment program increases with proper preparation of a home or apartment. For vulnerable persons who need help preparing their home, the Bug N Scrub program provides a variety of preparation services such as moving furniture, general cleaning, laundry service, and reducing and removing clutter. The Bug N Scrub team also returns to the home or apartment after treatment is complete to put things back in order. Vulnerable persons must be referred by a qualified organization or individual who have first-hand knowledge of the needs of the applicant. Services are free for approved referrals and will only be provided when bed bugs are present on site and not for preventive treatments.